Where to Get Help

As the older adult population increases, elder abuse and other crimes against older persons are also on the rise.  1 in 6 older adults are victims of elder abuse.  You do not need to prove that abuse is occurring; it is up to the professionals to investigate the suspicions.

    • Call 911. If you or someone you know is in a life-threatening situation or immediate danger contact 911 immediately.


    • Adult Protective Services.  State laws give state and local Adult Protective Service (APS) agencies the responsibility to protect and provide services to “vulnerable, incapacitated, or disabled adults.”  Most Adult Protective Service agencies are located in the phone book in the state government section.  You can also access an interactive national map to learn more about how to report suspected abuse in your area. Web site: http://www.napsa-now.org/get-help/help-in-your-area/


    • National Domestic Violence Hotline. Provides support counseling for victims of domestic violence and referrals for support services. The anonymous hotline operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All calls are confidential. Online chat is also available every day from 7:00a.m.-2:00a.m. at www.thehotline.org


    • United States Administration for Community Living (ACL). This Health & Human Services Department supports a range of activities to raise awareness about elder abuse. Phone: 1-202-619-0724. Web site: www.acl.gov/about-ac


    • The Eldercare Locator. This resource connects older Americans and their caregivers with sources of information on state and local assistance services for older adults, including those concerned about suspected elder abuse. Funded by the Administration on Aging. Phone: 1-800-677-1116. Web site: www.eldercare.gov


    • National Center on Elder Abuse. This site answers all questions about elder abuse – who to call if abuse is suspected, what to expect when you report abuse, prevention methods, and what can be done to stop elder abuse. Its website includes a state-by-state listing of statewide toll-free telephone numbers to call to report elder abuse. Funded by the Administration on Aging. Phone: 855-500-3537. Web site: www.ncea.acl.gov


    • Long Term Care Ombudsman. To report suspected abuse in a nursing home or long-term care facility contact your state Long Term Care Ombudsman agency.  Agency contact information available by state at: http://theconsumervoice.org/get_help


Elder Abuse Solutions: Resources Clearinghouse

Safety Plan Overview

When a Family Member Causes Harm

Ways to Reduce Isolation


This resource provides brief, general information about this topic. It does not take the place of specific instructions you may receive from health care or service providers. Copyright NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital 2006. All rights reserved.